Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Okay, so, I chose The Body Finder for my first review blog post because it was the last book I read(currently I'm reading The Ghost and The Goth). :)

336 pages * published 3/6/10 by HarperCollins

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

At first(literally; during the very first parts of the book) I totally kind of mistook The Body Finder for Beautiful Creatures(or at least, some part of it). Haha, no joke, I was like: When will this new guy who dreams of Violet enter the story already? Lol. And by new guy, I was thinking Ethan from BC(I haven't read the book yet, I just found out his name via Goodreads just a while ago) because in BC, the guy dreamed of the girl, right? So I was thinking there was a love triangle involved. And the part of me that always feels sad for the best friend who gets dumped for the new guy wondered who Violet will choose in the end. It was really silly and ridiculous. Anyway, that phase ended by me thinking: "Wait, this is like the fifth or sixth(because at the start of the story it's her third day at school, right?) day but no new student has appeared! Maybe I'm thinking the wrong guy, maybe there's just no new guy? Uhhh, wait, is there even a new guy? Maybe this guy I'm thinking of is from another book.." Haha. Oh my goodness. Note: I was reading it through my iPod, so don't judge me and tell me I should've read the blurb at the back of the book when I was having doubts.

Moving on!.... Good writing, but sometimes sentences aren't totally coherent. For instance, Grady. He was first mentioned when Violet talked to her at the end-of-summer party but he was only properly introduced the second time(when Violet, Jay and Grady were in the hallway moments before Grady asked Violet to go to Homecoming with him). I mean, isn't the part of introducing the character supposed to be done the first time he/she's mentioned?

Regarding the characters, I liked them. I didn't love them. They were cute and sweet as a couple but the sweetness kind of got overboard and turned mushy. I mean, it just irritated me, I don't know why(I really like sweet scenes and stuff and mushiness but....too much mushiness! aaah!) and caused me to roll my eyes and mutter "Oh, God". I am not lying and I really did that, and I know it's not the nicest thing to say, or rather, do. Look at it this way--when you keep eating the same candy for a long time you simply and eventually don't like it anymore and possibly even try to avoid that candy and move on to another one. It's the same thing with books. Sometimes. Depends, actually. But, you get the point.

The ending, surprisingly, was like hold-your-breath moment. But, really. It's convenient to have a police officer as an uncle, huh? Just one call and--zap!--he's there. It's just not as easy as that in real life, if it were to be. Though that would destroy the purpose of fiction, would it? Ha.


Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...