Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand



448 pages * published 1/4/11 by HarperTeen

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.



OH MY DAYS! This book was awesome and, needless to say, the writing was good. This is a pretty believable fiction. I mean, in Unearthly, each angel actually has his/her own purpose. That's the reason they're on earth, and with this book I was just dumbfounded. I mean, angels with a purpose? Duh! That just seems like really logical, reasonable and obvious(I mean, think about it.. angels are like messengers and whatnot so they obviously must have a purpose, right?), yet Unearthly's the only one with that premise(not about fallen angels). This book was a breath of fresh air. Surely angels have something better to do than get kicked out of heaven and be damned on earth and go to school(for Pete's sake! WTF?!!) and fall in effin' love, right? The answer is yes. Because in Unearthly, they have their mission. Okay, enough with me spazzing about that.

I liked all the characters. Except Christian.. yeah, I don't like him at all. I'm Team Tucker, obviously. They were so sweet(no joke, trust me) they might as well get married, y'know?! I haven't expected a love triangle(I don't like love triangles that much because it makes me feel pity for the guy not chosen), I was thinking Clara and Christian's gonna be together because that's usually what happens right? The main character falling in love with the person who wants to kill her(uh, Twilight.. Hush, Hush), or in this case with he person she's supposed to save(that's what I thought). Same old, same old so I was more than excited when Clara and Tucker got together and not her and Christian, though.. what was the ending all about?! I can't believe Clara has some(or maybe a tiny bit of) feelings for Christian. That's just not right, is it? That really irked me. Sorry, would've been 5 stars if not for that.

Rating: ★★★★


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...